Monday, June 18, 2007

I was losing my mind!

I went to a prestigious private school and grew up in an upper class suburban neighborhood. I was not the type of person that anyone would think was using drugs. But I was, and it nearly killed me. It started when my doctor prescribed me Ritalin in high school. From there, things went into a downward spiral. I discovered that I could crush and snort my Ritalin, because it is a form of speed. I stayed up for days and hardly ate. I was able to maintain my good grades and I got into Georgetown. My addiction got worse and I was going to two different doctors to get prescriptions for Ritalin. I was at the maximum dosage, but still, they would be gone in a week. I stopped going to class and stayed up for days at a time. I was losing my mind.

I ended up having to withdraw from college and went back home to live with my mom. It was then that I got into cocaine heavily. I went back to school and got my teaching degree from University of Maryland. I was teaching during the day, 8th grade English, and I was bartending at nights. I was functional for quite some time. But then my cocaine use took over. I would stay up all night using and go into school the next day. It got so bad, that I was using cocaine at school just to get through the day. I went on a binge and didn’t show up for work for three days. Needless to say, I lost my job. I started selling drugs for income and got involved with a bad crowd. I was running drugs, bartending, and staying up for days at a time. My car ended up getting impounded, I lost all of my friends, family, and everything that I had worked for. I did drugs all day and all night. I was killing myself.


Then my mom found Narconon®. She begged me to go get help. I fought it for a long time. Then I came home one day from being up for nearly a week. I was exhausted and sick. I looked at myself in the mirror and I knew right then that if I continued like this I would die.

My mom handed me the phone and I talked to someone from Narconon Arrowhead. His name was Paul, and he told me that I couldn’t live my life like this anymore. I was on a plane within 2 hours on my way to Oklahoma.

The Narconon program saved my life. I am happy and successful. I have found my purpose. Before I was lost, now I have goals and stability. I never thought that I would be able to stop using drugs. But now I can say that I never even think about it. Narconon taught me how to handle my condition in life and keep my ethics in. I saw how my life spiraled out of control and finally I was able to take responsibility for it and fix it. My relationship with my family is better than ever. I am happily married and working here at Narconon. I know that my purpose is to give to other people what this program gave me, my life back. Thank you Narconon for saving my life.



G. B.
Narconon Arrowhead Graduate, August 22, 2005
Story Written May 2007



If you know someone who needs help with drug or alcohol addiction or would like more
information about the Narconon Arrowhead Field Referral program
please call 1-800-468-6933 and ask for Desiree Cardoso or DannaSue Lafitte.
Together, we are saving lives, reuniting families, and making stronger communities
through effective drug and alcohol rehabilitation. www.stopaddiction.com

©2007 Narconon of Oklahoma, Inc. All rights reserved.
NARCONON and the Narconon logo are registered trademarks and service marks owned by Association for Better Living and Education International and are
used with its permission.